With a toddler who was introduced to CHOCOLATE by his grandmother and great grandmother, he demands it at least once a day.... with that said you can imagine how crafty I have become.
One of my favorite recipes to incorporate health into chocolate is Beet Brownies. These brownies have 2 cups of beets. I have also added carrots in them (in previous batches). These brownies are more of a cake consistency then actual brownies, but delicious none the less! once cooled the beet flavor completely disappears!!
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups of pureed beets
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 (3.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Beat together eggs and sugar.
- Add oil, beets, cocoa and pudding, mix well.
- Blend in vanilla, flour, soda and salt.
- Bake in greased and floured 11 x 15 x 1" sheet cake pan for 30 minutes at 375.